Ask Nancy

I am a non-practicing catholic, and so is my fiance. We would like to be married by a catholic priest, but not necessarily in a church (b/c we don't belong to one). Is that possible?

Best Wishes, Erin, on your upcoming wedding.

I certainly can not speak for Catholic priests and suggest you contact one to ask your question. My understanding is that they don’t officiate outside the church building and that you must be a member of their congregation.

You do have other options. If you’d like a religious aspect to your ceremony, a non-denominational minister could officiate. If you’d like a non-religious ceremony, a civil officiant (in Florida that would be a Notary Public) could officiate and, if in the future you decide to, you can have the marriage solemnized in the Catholic Church.

All the best,