Marriage License Requirements
Marriage licenses can be obtained at the Sarasota County Courthouse – Marriage License Department at 1991 Main Street, Suite 225, Sarasota, FL 34237. Also at the South County Administration Bldg., 4000 South Tamiami Trail, Room 129a, Venice, FL 34293
- You must either take a four hour premarital counseling course or wait 3 days before obtaining a marriage license. Exceptions to the waiting period are non-Florida residents and persons asserting hardships which are determined by the county judge. For state residents, a county court judge may waive the delayed effective date for good cause. A license cannot be issued unless the parties file a statement with the clerk’s office that they have read the handbook and file an affidavit as to the parties’ social security numbers. A couple that declines to take the course is charged an extra $32.50 for the license.
- Both applicants must apply in person and bring a drivers license, passport or Florida identification card. You must be 18 years but at least 16 years of age, a birth certificate and proof of identification is required along with a notarized written consent of the parents or guardian. Consent forms are available at the office. Applicants under 16 years of age must obtain a determination from a county court judge. If married before, must have proof of divorce or death of spouse; driver’s license for identification.
- The cost is $93.50 payable by cash, credit card, check, or money order payable to the clerk of the court. A reduction in the fee of $32.50 will be assessed for any couple who provides a valid certificate of completion of a pre-martial course.
- No blood test is required; valid for 60 days, can be used in any county in the state of Florida only. The executed license must be returned within ten days to the county in which it was issued.
- A clerk of the court can perform the service at the courthouse for a $30.00 fee in addition to the cost of the license. Ceremonies are performed Monday- Friday from 8:30am to 4:00pm by a deputy clerk.
If you need additional information, please contact the Sarasota Clerk of Circuit Court at (941) 861-7400